Friday, March 12, 2010

Recipe: Irish Soda Bread

This is a treat for my 90 year old father-in-law who recalls his mother baking the family Irish soda bread on a regular basis.
Irish Soda Bread: 
Ingredients:
4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon salt
3 cups dark seedless raisins
2 tablespoons caraway seeds
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 1/4 cups buttermilk ( 1 tbsp. vinegar or lemon juice and enough milk to the measure)
1 cup sour cream


Directions:
Preheat oven to 350'. Grease two large and one small loaf pan.
Combine 4 cups flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, raisins and caraway seeds in a large bow. In a mixer bowl, blend eggs, buttermilk and sour cream. Stir in flour mixture just until flour is moistened. (I mix with the mixer until well blended and I do not knead.)
Knead dough in bowl, about 10 strokes; dough will be very sticky. Divide dough between pans. Sprinkle with more caraway seeds.
Bake at 350' for about 60 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center tests clean and loaves are browned. Cool out of pans on wire rack. These can be frozen as well.
I am linking to most of these BLOG PARTIES

5 comments:

Mary Bergfeld said...

Your soda bread looks wonderful. This is my first visit to your site. I'll be back often to see what's cookin'. Have a great day...Mary

Tausha said...

I love love love the golf ball lamp. You got my wheels turning. Now all you need is a cute jar with golf tees next to it! Found you from the girl creative.
If you have a minute-please stop by and say hello!

Sjn said...

ps... it's still snowing on your blog, sort of like our real weather, love it!

Sjn said...

What a gorgeous header you have! Visiting from the Girl Creative, stop by and see me sometime!

cookies and cups said...

If I made that I would eat every last crumb all by myself! I love soda bread!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Subscribe Now

click to learn how-don't be missing out !!

sitemeter