Friday, November 19, 2010

Recipes: Potato Stuffing for Thanksgiving

Delicious stuffing which replaces the need for additional potatoes at a holiday dinner. I cook it in the turkey.  This stuffing was originally made with boiled potatoes and was passed down by my father's family. It became an immediate family tradition.  My mother adapted the recipe when Betty Crocker "Potato Buds" were invented and they have provided a more than satisfactory substitute for boiled potatoes.  Once all the additions are made, one would be hard put to determine the base was "Potato Buds".
Potato Stuffing:
Ingredients:
8 cups water
2 cups milk
12 tablespoons butter
salt to taste
8 cups Potato Buds 

1or 2 - 12/16 oz. tubes of sausage meat
approximately 1/3 cup Bell's Seasoning (also to taste and color)
1/2 cup to 1 cup minced onion or to taste
1/2 cup to 1 cup  minced celery or to taste
2 eggs

You will need a very large sauce pan for the amount of stuffing this recipe will make.  I use the bottom of a heavy duty pressure cooker.  You can cut it down according to back of the box and lessen the other ingredients accordingly.  It really is a matter of personal taste. 


Any extra stuffing may be baked in a separate casserole dish.


Prepare Potato Buds according to box directions after adding Bell's seasoning to dry potato flakes.
Add minced celery to liquid ingredients as they heat.
After preparing potatoes, add 2 eggs and mix well.


Lightly brown sausage meat in fry pan breaking up into small pieces with a fork. Be careful not to burn. [If you neglected to defrost the sausage meat, simply do so on the "defrost" setting of the microwave.] Then add onion and cook until tender. Drain off any fat and add sausage and onion to potatoes. 


Stuffing will be stiff. Mix stuffing well and chill in refrigerator until time to stuff the turkey. This recipe will stuff a 23 lb. turkey with enough leftover to fill a casserole dish as well.

I am linking to most of these BLOG PARTIES

13 comments:

Tina @ MOMS CRAZY COOKING said...

Thanks so much for linking up to This Week's Cravings, make sure to come back next week for another exciting new theme!

Anestazia said...

Thanks for linking up to It's Freakin' Friday! Love your blog!

http://yourworkistodiscoveryourworld.blogspot.com/

Unknown said...

Hi, I am following you from the sweet & simple blog hop! I hope you have a good weekend!

http://caseysgoodlife.com

Karen from Sew Many Ways... said...

Oh my gosh...thank you so much for sharing this. I'm printing this for my sister and dad who are both gluten free. Great for people who can't eat the traditional bread stuffing.
Take care,
~Karen~

Jacqui said...

Hi! I'm your newest follower from a Saturday Blog Hop! Would love it if you could follow back at one or all four of my blogs!

www.singleparentretreat.com
http://singlemamachallenges.blogspot.com/
http://motherdaughterconnection.blogspot.com/
http://jmconsulting.blogspot.com/

Have a great weekend!

Melissa Sharon said...

Following from Relax and Surf Sunday - hope you can visit me at www.thejoyfuljungle.com Thanks!

Unknown said...

Hi, what a lovely blog you have! I am your newest follower from relax and surf sunday :)

Maggie said...

Just popped in from Seasonal Sunday,
I'm a recipe-aholic so thanks for sharing this potato stuffing with us this week.
Maggie

Marlis said...

wow this is something I will have to try.. thanks for sharing.

The Tablescaper said...

Thanks so much for being a part of Seasonal Sundays.

- The Tablescaper

Simone @ Doberman's by the Sea said...

I enjoyed looking over your blog. Great travel pics! Brings back memories.

KatieCan86 said...

I'm following :) Cute blog! I found you at The Thrifty Military Wife's blog hop!
I would love it if you could stop by!

xoxo
Katie
The Romantic Type
http://theromantictype.blogspot.com/

Donnie said...

My old fashioned husband said for me to bookmark this one too. It does sound good.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Subscribe Now

click to learn how-don't be missing out !!

sitemeter